We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Monday, January 11, 2010

Why I keep working

Some people who don't know me very well thought that after my 3 years of stressful working, I'd be excited to spend 2 years in Mexico NOT working - like being retired in my 20s! Most of the wives who come to Mexico do not work; while many of them are grasping at the opportunity to become SAHMs, some of them, like me, don't have kids! But I would have none of that. I had spent some boring summers bookending my stressful teaching years and I knew that I had to do something in Mexico.

Here is a case in point:



Why was I working in McDonalds?

Short answer --> the car battery died
medium answer --> i was trying to work at Starbucks, but when we had to take a taxi, the taxi dropped me off closer to McDonald's than Starbucks
longer answer --> Since I hardly ever get work done at home, I don't like to be at home when the housekeeper comes, I packed up all my stuff to do lesson plans at starbucks while dave was at work, then meet him for lunch, and then go get a pedicure or something in the afternoon, but none of that happened and I ended up at McDonald's.

What really happened --> after I dressed for the day, packed up all of my stuff, etc. we find out that our car battery is sooo dead it won't even take a charge. Dave had to take a taxi to work and while there beg for either a loaner car, or a loaner battery (there are no tow trucks in Mexico). Since I was dressed and ready to go (and still not wanting to be here with the housekeeper), I decided to ride along in the taxi, having the taxi drop me off at Starbucks. Once Dave got the loaner car, he would pick me up for lunch, and then I'd have the car in the afternoon to go grocery shopping or whatever. But our taxi driver drove a wierd way to avoid construction and dropped us both off in front of the McDonald's, about a mile from the Starbucks. So... I decided to try out McCafe's hot tea and electrical outlets.
Dave didn't get a loaner car, so he came to have lunch with me at McD's, and I was there from 8 to 5! Sheesh.

(but, I did get lesson plans done!)

1 comment:

Beth- the mama bee said...

that's a long time at McDs! I'm sure the staff thought you were moving in!