We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Monday, January 25, 2010

Mich.

When my Dad came to visit last year, he noticed that the "arrivals" screen at the Mexico City airport listed planes from "Mich." and asked me. He was sure that wasn't "Michigan", and he was right. It was "Michoacan" a state in central Mexico only a few hours from our house in Toluca.



The Monarch Butterflies winter in the cool mountains of Michoacan and summer in the cool trees of Michigan. I wish that I could do the same! But the butterflies have such a short life that the same ones will not be able to see both "mich"es. The ones that are here in Mexico will mate in March and then start flying north. They will lay their eggs along their northern route, likely in SE U.S. Those new caterpillars will turn into butterflies and continue migrating north to Michigan. Sometimes it is 4 generations before the butterflies will make a round trip.

It is an amazing act of God that those butterflies know where and when to fly, as there are never any "experienced" butterflies to lead the way. Yet, they keep flying and eating and reproducing and flying.

I wish that I could trust my creator so fully to just keep flying, no matter what, knowing that I was going in the right direction.

No comments: