We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Transition

I never wanted to be a desperate housewife. The opportunity to move to Mexico initially seemed like a 2-year stint at home on my couch, albeit a couch in a warm foreign country. Thankfully, God provided an amazing opportunity for me to teach full time while we were in Mexico. While it meant a few less vacations home and a few more expensive tickets when we did travel, overall I'm glad that I was able to work.
Now, I'm seriously considering how to avoid desperation after our return home.
With so many people unemployed (and underemployed) it seems highly unlikely that I will be able to seamlessly re-enter the job market.
So, what to do with my time when we move home?
My number one priority is to finally finish the home renovations we started 4 years ago. But after that's done, I'm not sure. I want to use my Spanish, so maybe I'll have a chance to volunteer.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2 comments:

Beth- the mama bee said...

It's not that hard to fill a day :) volunteer, work out, scrapbook, take a lesson, read, cook. Work part time for little pay at a job you enoy- sounds good to me.

Kelly said...

From Lesia:

I think you could fill your time easily in a down economy. Lots of places have had to cut staff and are relying more on volunteers. You could volunteer at a school doing ENL stuff with Spanish speaking students. You could volunteer at a library doing children's programming, you could volunteer someplace doing programming for teens - you could give Spanish lessons at a YMCA, Civic Center, library, etc. You could work at a church as a volunteer in CE, with youth, or heading up the library or starting a drams department. I think your possibilities are limitless. A volunteer gig could lead into a job when the economy improves or it could look great on your resume.

You could also volunteer with Cancer society. It could also have fun with a part-time job doing something you love like working at a small bookstore. You could work with the park department or civic theater and direct plays. Sorry I rambled but i find the prospect so exciting -- I wish I were in your position --- so many wonderful opportunities to choose from.