We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Reading List

Since we were in the U.S. for 3 weeks and then self-quarantined in our house for 2 weeks due to illness, I don't have much exciting Mexico news to report. So, I thought I'd share with you a reading list of great books about Mexico. Many of them can be found at your local library.

Kid's Books
My Mexico / México mío by Tony Johnston
Confetti: Poemas para ninos/ Poems for Children by Pat Mora
These are beautiful picture books filled with poems in both Spanish and English that truly evokes the sights and sounds of Mexico.
Salsa Stories by Lulu Delacre
I haven't read this one yet, but it sounds great: a selection of stories that explain the food and traditions of latino holidays.
Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan
This is an elementary chapter book about a Mexican girl and her family who moves to the U.S.

Adult Books
The Art of Mexican Cooking by Diana Kennedy
I only briefly looked over this cookbook, but it's on my wishlist bc it seems like the Mexican version of Julia Child's classic.
Stories from Mexico : Historias de Mexico by Genevieve Barlow
This is a small book with about a dozen short stories written in both Spanish and English (and a few sketches) that tell the history of Mexico. It's kind of like Mexico's mythology and legends; sort of the Mexican version of Paul Bunyon and the big blue ox.
A Brief History of Mexico by Lynne Foster
I am using this short book as my Mexico History text next semester. It is in English but is not very biased and gives a concise overview of Mexican history.

No comments: