We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Valuing Mexico

I have been interested in Mexico for a long time.
Way back in the first grade, I was friends with a little Mexican-American girl. She was bilingual, and I thought that was really cool. Most of the class thought I was pretty smart bc I was good in math and reading. But I could not speak another language. And neither could the teacher. Despite a high level (maybe 10%?) of hispanic kids in our school, none of the teachers seemed to be able to say basic words or phrases in Spanish. This little friend of mine could speak 2 languages, a talent that not even my brilliant parents had. So I was a little jealous, and very respectful. I figured that if I could ever learn another language, maybe I could do things in 2 languages, like she did, and be even smarter.
In high school, I went on my first mission trip to mexico. Over 6 mission trips and a couple of family excursions, I became more and more interested in life across the border.
One of the reasons I chose my college was because it was one of the few on my list that had a study-abroad option to Mexico (not just Spain). I ended up going to spain, rather than Mexico, which was fun, but still a huge bummer.
When we finally had the option to go to Mexico, I was definitely interested, even if I was scared.
After a year of living here, I can safely say that Mexico - the culture, the land, the people, the language, the personality - is more than an interest of mine.
It is a deeply-held value.
I value the role that Mexico has in the history of the Americas. I value the contributions of the pre-colonial americans and the conquistadores and the revolutionaries. I value the trade partnership and government alliance. But most of all, I value our time here. I value the opportunity to see another large group of God's children "up close and personal" and to see them as the valued children they are to Him.
I hope that I can continue to value mexico's culture and traditions (and the food!) long after we return to the states.

No comments: