We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Content

This was a daily email devotion sent to me by my Pastor in Ann Arbor Monday morning. After a week-long pity party and a relaxing weekend, this devotion helped me to focus my attention as I returned to school. I shouldn't be happy when things are going well and frustrated when they're not. I should be joyful all of the time, regardless of circumstances. But I'm still working on that.

Philippians 4:12-13 (The Message)
I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.

For 13 years I have gone camping in a wilderness area in the Upper Peninsula with three Christian friends. We have a ritual. When we arrive in Munising at 7am we go to a local restaurant for our last "civilized" meal for a week. Every year, the same waitress is there pouring our coffee, laughing and always radiating a happiness and contentment that most people never seem to find. Several years ago, as I sat at the table I had been feeling rather sorry for myself. You know the in your head drill: "I work too much".... "I am not appreciated the way I should be".... "I am tired of the same routines".... and on and on. My challenging circumstances were all the more highlighted by the simple contentment and joy of our waitress. I thought, "I wish I could just have a simple and uncomplicated life like her." As she walked away from our table, laughing, I noticed a slight limp. I looked down and to my surprise saw that she had a prosthetic leg. I was humbled by her attitude. Here I was feeling sorry for myself and envying what I thought was an uncomplicated life, when all the while what I was witnessing was an outlook and attitude that transcended life's complications, pains and losses.

St. Paul reminds us that contentedness and joy are not dependent upon our circumstances but upon our awareness of God's powerful love for us and presence in our daily life. Today, leave behind self-pity and lay hold of the joy of God's nearness

No comments: