We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Thursday, October 29, 2009

My kind of Heroin

Today, one of my better students, a senior, asked me if I ever regretted teaching high school students. I said, "no of course not. I love it." which is true. But in the context of the day, it sounded rather strange:

I arrived at school homesick and frustrated with my boss and overall quite ready to hop on the next plane home.

When my 4th hour government class comes in, they are more wild and crazy than usual.
Christian threw Lucas' journal out the window, Ben put Christian's journal behind a bookshelf, Ji-Ho is sleeping, David has the swine flu, they are dancing to silent rap music in their heads, the computers won't turn on, the other computers will work with pink screens and a very loud constant "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep", so lucas takes off his shoes, rissa throws them, ji-ho passes out, soo is asking about the boston tea party, Ginny is doing bible homework, Rissa pushes Kevin in a wheeled desk chair across the library into a stack of books, Ben throws a dart from about 10 feet away, Christian is downloading pictures of "hot" girls to his facebook rather than do his homework, Lucas is lying on a pile of beanbag chairs and then Christian jumps on top of him...
Ben: "Ms. Kelly, do you ever regret teaching teenagers?"
Me: "No, Ben, I really like it - hey, Christian, get off of facebook! - teaching is like being a drug addict - Rissa, put down lucas' shoes! - every day I think that this cannot be healthy for me - Kevin, get off of that chair! - but then I wake up the next morning and think - Ji-ho, are you dead? - naw, I think I'll do it again today."
Ben: "ok." goes back to playing video games on his ipod.
Soo: "Ji-ho is not dead, miss. he's just sleepy."
Me: typing quietly and trying to ignore the sleeping, shoe-throwing, chair spinning, dancing, and otherwise chaotic behavior of my class that is a normal day "ok, well, as long as he's not dead, I think we're having a good day."

2 comments:

Beth- the mama bee said...

:( that's why teahers drink!

Beth- the mama bee said...

teachers... i must be drinking