We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I almost...

We went home this past weekend for a "pre-thanksgiving" family get-together. It was AWESOME. Mainly really amazing that as soon as I step off the plane, I feel as if I have never left. I smell the air and hear the words and see the places and then walk into the comfort of familiar arms that have been waiting for a hug and I am home. It really doesn't matter how long I've been gone or where I went, home is a psychological space that I can always find with those warm hugs.

Still, this was the longest time I've gone in-between trips home (basically in forever)and also the longest time I've considered somewhere other than Michigan home. So I was surprised at all the things I "almost" did, without thinking about where I am:

I almost -
sped past a police cruiser on the freeway
ran through a red light when no one was there
drove 80 mph on a 45 road
tipped the cashier at the grocery store
asked someone for the "basura" before squeaking out the word "trashcan"
forgot the word for dustbin (that plastic thingy used with a broom?)
couldn't order in English at Chipotle (a carnitas burrito with tomatillo salsa just sort of lends itself to a fully spanish conversation!!!)
added 3 blankets to my niece before she went outside
kissed male non-relatives on the cheeks
shook everyone's hand upon entering and leaving a room
turned on "univision" for the real news of the day

So... whenever I do move "back" home, I'll be taking a lot of my new home with me. Especially an annoyance with LOUD English conversations. Seriously, we don't all need to know what you're saying, people.

No comments: