We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Christian Character Day

The Christian school where I currently teach is very very conservative. It is an interdenominational international school, so the administration has decided to take the most conservative route possible. So, we don't have halloween in case any of our families are opposed to it. But, to placate the kids need for costume parade, we have 'Christian Character Day' and the kids can dress up as any Bible character or historical Christian figure. We have an assembly where the kids stand in front of the school and we guess who they're supposed to be; the kids get prizes for their creativity.

Last year, I chose my costume to keep my boss guessing about my political persuasion!


This year, I almost didn't go to the assembly. I didn't have a very good costume, and I had lots of things to do. But thankfully I stopped by, bc two of our students had really great costumes!

Sara, in 8th grade, wore a scarf much like to my co-teacher's favorite accessory. Her hints: "I am the youngest sibling, I like texas, I drink a lot of coffee, and I pray every 50 minutes!" We all knew she was Ms. Claire!!!

Then, Soo, one of our very talented 11th graders, stood in the front of the assembly, saying nothing, but twirling her hair. I started laughing, but most of the students were still confused. So Soo helped them out: "I yell. A LOT! and I fight with my husband sometimes, but I always lose." And then she let out a HUGE laugh! By then, everyone was rolling with laughter.



I don't know if i'm a 'Christian Character' but if Soo's impression is acurate, I guess I am a bit of a character!

2 comments:

Beth- the mama bee said...

Is that a description of you? You fight with dave? You always loose?

Kelly said...

I have no idea where Soo got that idea! I think I had mentioned that I am a yeller, but that Dave is quiet, so he always wins bc he's calm. I don't always know what they will remember.