We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Done

Our time in Mexico is officially "done".

We packed up our beautiful house, and returned our "fancy" car. I ate all the Mexican food and gave away my used clothes. I cleaned out my classroom and sold my Mexico phone.

I completed an exit interview and took pictures with my kids and hugged my friends and got on a plane and flew away.

After months of answering, "so when are you really coming home?" and weeks of living out of suitcases, and days of waking up and wondering where I am, the truth has finally come.

We live here now. We're not going back (anytime soon)

This is our house. My books are on the shelf and my shoes are in the closet and my water bottle is on the bedside table. Dave installed the flooring and I painted the walls and the only thing on our shelves that we didn't pick out ourselves is a kerosene lamp left by the last owner which I can't throw away because of some sort of sentimental value.

Our suitcases are stored in a closet somewhere.
Our passports are in the safe.

My calendar is filling up with "Michigan things" like birthday parties and the farmer's market and bike rides. There aren't any "Mexican things" like spanish class or hotel reservations.

I'm not going back. (well, not anytime soon.)

And it's just not that easy to walk away from a perfectly good life.

1 comment:

Claire said...

You are missed. You have been such a big part of my "Mexican" life that it's hard to imagine it without you! I know that you are just a Skype call (and a plane ticket) away, but it's different not having you around. I'm glad you were here and I'm glad Mexico is a part of your life now (because it is and always will be!).