We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Culture Shock

There are officially 5 stages of culture shock: anticipation, excitement, negotiation, adjustment, and mastery. Unfortunately, 60% of expats never master the new culture. 10% of expats master the new culture so well that they choose to stay, basically forever.
"Some people manage to adapt the aspects of the host culture they see as positive, while keeping some of their own and creating their unique blend. They have no major problems returning home or relocating elsewhere. Approximately 30% of expatriates are these so-called Cosmopolitans." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_shock)

I guess we're 'cosmopolitan'.

So, of the 90% of expats who return home, most of us go through something called 'reverse culture shock'. Basically, getting used to our old country is nearly as unsettling as getting used to the new country. Most Americans are unsettled by this. People think that we're not very American if we don't immediately re-adjust to our 'old' life or our 'real' life here.

Truthfully, culture is all-encompassing fact of life. We have to get used to dozens of lifestyle changes here:
air conditioning
rain then sun then clouds then drizzle then half sun
cruise control
early morning sunrises and late night sunsets
hockey (not soccer) all over the news
mowing the lawn
expensive restaurants
daily mail
and new jobs, just to name a few.

So... I miss Mexico. 2 years ago, I thought I'd be so happy to see this day, and I am in a way. When we came home for our 6 month visit, I was trying to fill my days with US things and my Spanish was all but forgotten. Last summer, we were in the US and England for over a month, and I forgot some Spanish and didn't miss tacos. 6 months ago, I had a hard time NOT eating avocados with Christmas dinner. Now, I miss my friends, and my beautiful rented house, and the delicious food, and the warm sunshine, and the challenge of speaking another language. I'm sad from leaving my kids and saying good bye to my friends; I'm exhausted from unpacking and cleaning our house while starting a new job.
I'm hopeful that we can bring our Mexican personalities and habits and - can I claim it - culture will come with us to the U.S.

1 comment:

rach said...

Your friends miss you, too. I am actually getting a little anxious about being back in the States for awhile. I do love it there but I love it down here too...I guess experiences like this help us understand the whole "citizens of heaven" thing that Jesus talks about. I am so glad that you guys were able to have this experience and that our paths crossed (and will cross again, I am sure!). Con mucho amor, Rachel