We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Friday, April 30, 2010

Addict

Hello, my name is Kelly, and I am addicted to the television.
Not the programs, so much. Just the noise. And the sound. And the news.

I thought everyone needed the TV on when they were working. I thought everyone watched the news at breakfast, and at dinner.

Ok, so I'm over-reacting a bit. according to http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/465910/4_signs_that_youre_suffering_from_television.html?cat=25 TV addicts schedule their lives around TV and overreact when they miss a program. That's not really me.

But after a week with no electricity, and then another week with no TV connection, and now 2 weeks with no cable, I'm starting to get used to the silence.

It's like being on vacation.

An earthquake happened in China, and I didn't know about it for a day or two. My students started talking about last night's episode of one of my favorite shows, and i had to admit I hadn't seen it. I can hear noises from the street during breakfast and I talk with my friend(s) during dinner bc there are no newscasters keeping me company.

This very helpful (sarcasm implied) website http://www.articlesbase.com/alternative-medicine-articles/tv-addiction-as-serious-as-drug-addiction-382100.html#axzz0lw8P5n9p
exercising, watching TV, playing board games, and actually leaving the apartment as the cure to my addiction.
So... extra novel from the library - check!
Twilight scene it board game played on a laptop with a battery - check!
Taking a 2 hour bus ride to the nearest starbucks for computer access and to read the novel mentioned above - check!
Yoga on the roof at sunset... well, i'm still hoping to try that one.

Seems like my addiction may soon be cured! Only side effect is watching "Glee" episodes a few days late... but that can be acceptable.

No comments: