We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

"real" Mexico

"So... are you all settled in?" well meaning acquaintances are trying to small-talk about our recent "move". I should be better at small talk - at least more polite - because I talk so much. But I have this crazy tendency to actually say the truth, or at least something resembling the truth.
So, no. We are NOT settled in. Our truck left mexico 2 weeks ago (today) and isn't likely to arrive at our MI house for another week or so.
we arrived at our house with 10 suitcases (no joke!) and unpacked them. Then, we had to "reorganize" the house to move the renters' items into storage and our items into display.
But really, we've been living at our house, out of suitcases, every time we visited MI for the past two years! So, no, I don't feel "settled" at "home" bc my home is still here in Mexico.

It was very sad to see our beautiful house in Metepec returned to the landlord, to be repurposed for the next family. It was also sad to "leave" Mexico.

But I'm back already!

I flew back to the DF airport, took a taxi to my friends' apartments by the school where I teach, and started work yesterday morning.

I'm more settled in the apartment(s) than I am back home.

And as such, I get to experience "real" Mexico. Not the beautiful, well-manicured lawn and housekeeper-cleaned mansion we had in Metepec. A very small (600 square feet?) apartment. With no hot water. or electricity. I don't own a car. I walk to work.

But I'm still liking it. :) I get to spend time with my friends, and practice my spanish and eat tortillas.

I do miss Dave terribly. But I think he misses Mexico, too, already, so I'm trying to soak up as much "real" Mexico as I can. for him.

No comments: