We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Thursday, May 6, 2010

The more things change...

"When are you moving back? Are you already moved in?"
So many well-meaning people are asking me that question, and I"m trying to remember that they haven't already asked it a million times so I should be nice in my answer.
"We are in the process of moving back. It will take a few trips."
When exactly are we moved back? When the truck leaves? When the truck arrives? When we step off the plane? When I don't have any more airline tickets planned? When the GPS is switched to calculate in miles rather than kilometers? Or is the moving day just a date on the calendar?

Two years ago, I was wrapping up my time at LHWL. I was sad about leaving my students, nervous about finding a new job, harried from preparing a complete curriculum for the next teacher, exhausted from running a my last show without David, and completely scared about what the future would hold. I didn't know what the future would hold, and I was scared of the unknown.

I'm feeling almost the same now as I did before. Even though I know where I will live and where I will work and what I will be doing (basically) this summer, I'm still feeling nostalgic. I had the opportunity to work in a high school this week: substitute in a Spanish classroom and help with a drama production. It brought back so many memories. I got a few days to relive my old life and reconsider my next stage.

Taking a year (or more) out of the classroom will feel very strange.

No comments: