We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Lost in Translation

Today I had this discussion with a 9th grade Korean-Mexican student:
"if both equations are equal to y, then make them equal to each other."
"huh?" (or, the spanish-korean version of "huh")
"y equals y, right?"
"huh?"
"is y the same as y?" "yes"
"ok, so if this equals y point to equation with an x and this equals y point to another equation then they equal each other."
"huh?"
seriously, this went on for like 5 minutes. Then, I told her she needs a math tutor who speaks Korean. She did not know what the word "tutor" means. I explained it was someone who would help her with her math. She asked me why she needs that. I told her that she doesn't understand what I'm saying, and that a korean could explain the math to her in a langugage she understands. She looked at me like I was crazy.
*sigh*

No comments: