We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Friday, March 27, 2009

(il)legality

Before we moved to Mexico, I faced a lot of questions, mainly from students as to whether or not Dave & I would be "illegal immigrants". This caused many giggles around the minds of 16-year olds. Let me assure everyone once again that we ARE here legally. The governments of US & MEX know we're here; we pay taxes to both countries, and have travel documents.
Well....
David's legal at least.
David works for an international company who makes sure to follow the law. US & MEX taxes are taken out of his salary. He has an FM3 work visa, granting him permission to work for Nissan and to travel between the two countries at any time, via land or air or sea, for any (legal) purpose. He has to follow US & MEX law, but as long as he does that he is entitled to government protection - in court, for example, but also tax refunds and other monetary benefits. In the case of a major disaster, the US embassy would try to get us out quickly and safely.
I, on the other hand, work for a small, non-profit, religious organization that does not pay US or MEX taxes. I do not have a work visa. I have a tourist visa that expires every six months. Because I do not have an official job, nor do I pay taxes, I do not qualify for bank loans, credit cards, health care, or any number of federal programs, such as welfare, social security, unemployment, food stamps, etc.
Thankfully, I don't need any of those. I have a credit card, a mortgage, health insurance, and income from David. When we move back, I can re-enter the workforce as easily as anyone else.
In the meantime, though, I am relying on my husband for more than just financial security. While we're here, my entire identity is as his wife.

1 comment:

Claire said...

and since i'm not married i basically do not exist... haha.