We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

It could happen anywhere

My friend and co-worker, Claire, has had some trouble convincing her mom that this is a good place to be.
When she complains about Mexican traffic, her mom says, "you should just come home". When she wants to buy a car, but can't afford it, her mom says, "you should just come home". When she gets a cold or the flu, her mom says, "you should just come home." When the students are screaming and she works too many hours and even her weekends are paper-grading marathons, her mom says, "you should just come home."

Claire knows that even at "home" there is lots of traffic, and germs, and credit troubles. She knows that at "home" she may not have a job she loves, or great friends, or spicy chicken.

Her mom is coming for Easter, and that should help. But I'm afraid her mom will be all too willing to get on the plane and go back home.

1 comment:

Claire said...

The more I think about it, the less I worry. The truth is I'm happier than I've ever been, and that's worth all of the "you should just come home!" conversations I've had and will have to have. Mexico isn't done with me yet :)