We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Chilly, but Cozy

Driving around this week, cramming 6 months worth of errands into 3 days, it's easy to forget that the car is borrowed and so is the house. Easy to ignore the suitcases hiding in the corner or the pesos in my purse. When the mail comes, it's easy to pretend that I could attend that event or use those coupons. Until I see the mail addressed to someone else, reminding me that I don't really live here anymore. Then I see my item is backordered until Jan 15 and that's about 10 days too late to matter. I remember that all the library books have to be returned, whether I've finished them or not.
But the worst part of the whole thing is that I have to do errands at all. Even after days of family togetherness, it seems a waste to spend time doing anything other than what I really want to do. When I may not see dear family and friends for weeks or months, do I really want to spend time renewing my driver's license and getting an eye exam and returning ungiven gifts and stocking up on English reading material?
Yes, I suppose I do. At least, part of me does. Part of me wants to spend every moment with people I've missed. But the other part remembers how I spent so many weeks in Mexico wishing for things like eating International food and feeling snow crunch under my feet and walking through a room full of books I could read and watching TV I could understand and driving without going crazy and central heat and familiar church service and NPR and yet...
Yet while I'm here, I feel that maybe, just maybe, there is never enough time to do everything, to see everyone, to experience it all enough. And maybe that has to be ok.

No comments: