We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Friday, January 23, 2009

When I DON"T like living in Mexico

Most of the time, I'm thrilled to be here. And the days that I'm not so excited about living here are mainly caused my homesickness, not actual displeasure.
But every once in a while, I have one of those days. When all of the major annoyances of living in mexico combine in a ridiculous example of why this is a still-developing country:
  • When the traffic is horrible and the pollution is worse.
  • When I'm an hour late to work bc of traffic and no one thinks that's a problem.
  • When there is an unexpected brownout or blackout
  • When I can't make copies, use the internet, imput grades, send email, etc. bc of the brownout and everyone thinks I should have a normal teaching schedule despite the fact
  • When I can't find US news on CNN
  • When finding a reliable internet connection strong enough to broadcast US news is nearly impossible, esp. when there's really important news happening
  • When the lady at Starbucks speaks to us in heavily accented spanish bc she assumes we can't order a venti latte in Spanish (the words are the same bad italian in any language)
  • When I can't get this season's episodes of my favorite shows
  • When I can't find English language books, magazines, newspapers, movies, music, radio stations, TV shows, movies...

sigh

No comments: