We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Michigan, my Michigan

2 inches of snow. And hours of darkness everyday. MI winters are like purgatory. Not quite miserable enough to be Hell, but definitely not nice enough to be heaven! I keep telling myself it's a small price to pay to be home again, but sometimes I'm not sure.
It's not really the cold that's annoying. Yes, it's very chilly here, but with the right clothing (and boots, and coat, and gloves, and hat, and scarf) and central heating, it's really quite comfortable most of the time. And who doesn't like cuddling up in front of a warm fire under a heavy quilt sipping hot chocolate? Very nice.
But the snow sucks. I woke up to the sound of fingernails scratching my bedroom window. At least, that's what I thought it was, so I immediately freaked out. Alas, it was my wonderful father shoveling the sidewalk (under my window) at 6am. And the entryways of buildings are always wet and dripping with snow. The roads are icy and dangerous. Seriously, if Jesus wanted people to live with snow, He would have been born in a colder country.
Another thing about MI winters that I never noticed before - how dark it is here in the winter. I had heard about SAD (Seasonal Affect Disorder) where people get depressed in the cold winter months, but I honestly thought it was all balderdash. I mean, millions of people survive northern winters every year! Then I moved to MX. I spend most of my day exposed to sunshine. The sun is rising as I wake up (around 7am) and sets after I get home (6pm). I spend 2-3 hours driving in bright sun every day. My classroom is in a building, but that building has an open courtyard, meaning that the "hallway" outside my room is exposed to sunshine. I'm groggy all day here as I wait for the sunshine to come out and wake me up.
I'm going to need some serious convincing to stay here longer than a few weeks!
Can I be a snowbird at 30?

No comments: