We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Monday, December 15, 2008

Coming back

Some wierd thoughts as we come back to the USA for a few weeks:

Traffic - the roads are so wide, and open, and fast-moving, and nearly empty! And everyone follows the rules, even with no cops around. There's even signs telling traffic where to go and why a road is closed. It's almost like information overload. I've actually been early a few times, due to traffic being better than expected. (My expectations changed, not the traffic).

shopping - it is amazing how much junk food we have available. There are way too many brands of non-food products here. I mean, how many kinds of chips does a normal person need?
Visiting Target was like an anthropologist on vacation - I kept seeing stuff we "needed". They even have special aisles of pre-boxed gifts, organized by price range. There were aisles and aisles of "home accessories" which basically meant cheap junk made in Asia that someone is telling the American public we need in our homes or they will look empty and ugly.

church - there is just something about worshipping in one's own language that makes our heart sing. I was singing and crying and laughing all at once. I couldn't praise hard enough, it was just so wonderful to be able to worship together with everyone and not once feel confused or out of place.

home - our home is in very good shape. They guys are taking good care of our house. But there is still a surreal feeling to live out of suitcases in our "own" house. I don't like the food in the fridge, I don't use the products in the bathroom, I don't read the books on the shelves, I don't watch the channels programmed on the TV. It feels more like visiting a dear family member's house than our own - we feel comfortable enough to wash our clothes, and get our own drinks, but not enough to walk around in a towel.

No comments: