We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Working Women

I work with women now!!!!!!!!!!!
This doesn't sound like a huge deal, but it really is. In my last job, I was half of the female teaching staff. I was the youngest person there by at least 5 years, but more like an average of 15 years. The women on staff were more like mothers than friends (which is ok, except that I already have a fabulous mother and mother-in-law, so I'm not really in need of any more). And all of my bosses - department head, administration, principal, superintendent, etc. - were all men. Old men. Men who laugh at sexual harassment training. Which, btw, isn't about sex at all but is about respect.
So this year, I work with women! Almost the entire staff is women, and most of them are my age-ish. There isn't a principal, but 2/3 of the directors are women.
The 2 reasons this is really awesome:
1. Everyone "gets" it. They know what it's like to spend 30 minutes trying to look nice without looking attractive. They know how one stray hair or one nasty pimple can ruin a day. They know where to find great deals on stylish clothing. They know that when I say I want to get home for dinner that I don't mean my husband will starve without me but rather that this is my hour of the day to actually connect with my family and I don't care if we're eating cold pizza I'm only going to miss it for an actual emergency. They know that Sarah Palin isn't automatically my hero, but neither is Gloria Steinem.
2. I have friends! It was very tough to have a real conversation with my prior co-workers - we had nothing in common. We were in different life stages, with different afterschool activities, and very little teaching methods in common. I don't have much in common with these ladies, but we feel more comfortable talking, so we can share about our lives here.

Yippie!

2 comments:

Lesia said...

I am so happy for you. Having friends at work always makes the job better. It is great to be able to share your woes with someone who understands exactly what you are talking about -- work or home issues. My friends who have lived abroad (mostly service wives but same idea) tell me that some of their longest, deepest friendships have happened in foreign countries when the camaraderie is so desperately needed. They talk of forming bonds that have lasted a lifetime; no matter where the years take them those friends are always just a phone call (computer stroke) away. I am so excited for you to see what the next year brings. PS I love reading your blog!!!

Kelly said...

I'm not sure our life is actually all that interesting, but I'm glad you like reading about it! You're my biggest fan!