We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Monday, September 29, 2008

One down...

We got some bad news at school today - a teacher is leaving. Effective immediately.

I'm sorry for her students - a small elementary class - but I'm not really surprised. The school had so many vacancies to fill this year that quite a few of the new teachers have no experience and/or no education degree and/or no spanish skills and/or no international traveling experience. Bad combo. Showing up hours before the first teacher meeting, with no idea how to teach or what to teach, no idea how to live in this country, and limited resources (no curriculum, no internet) make for a bad combination.

So now I'm realizing a sharp truth - no matter how badly I feel I'm doing, no matter how crazy things get at school - leaving isnt' really a choice. Not because I can't be replaced, I can, but because the students don't understand that it's not about them. It rarely is.

1 comment:

Lesia said...

Sounds like you need to recruit a friend to come down to teach. Your house is large enough you could stay in the maid’s quarters. There would be someone to share the commute with. I am only half joking. What a great opportunity for someone who perhaps just graduated and hasn’t landed a teaching job yet. Or even a current student who would like to take a year off and get some real world experience! You have recruited students before -- I bet you could recruit a teacher.