We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Saturday, September 13, 2008

We're not supposed to understand?!

I started my second Spanish class this week, with a tutor from MCCA. I'm taking the class with another teacher, which I was looking forward to, bc I thought it would mean more practice in talking. Unfortunately, it wasn't nearly as good - we focused mainly on completeing grammar exercises from a textbook. I can do those in my sleep, bc they look a lot like what I've been creating, using, and grading for the last three years.
Then she said something really surprising -
"you don't understand? Good! You're not supposed to. God doesn't want us to understand each other" I'm not kidding. She went on to re-explain the tower of babel story, explaining that the reason that our languages have completely different grammatical styles and formats, not just different vocabulary, is so that it's impossible for anyone to know a lot of languages very well. Supposedly that's to keep any one group from taking over the world.
Huh.

No comments: