We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Labor Day or Independence Day?

Last Monday, when all our American friends and family were enjoying the last day of summer (and theoretically supporting the labor movement by not working :), we were actually working! And next week, when those same friends are hard at work, we'll be on the beach in Los Cabos celebrating American Independence from Europe (and theoretically being independent enough to take the day off work). In the wake of US political conventions -and I watched both - this blog is a hodgepodge of thoughts about working, playing, and fighting for a better government.

Celebrating independence day with Mexico reminds me of our shared American heritage - what it's like to break free from colonial dependence, write our own constitution, spend nearly a decade fighting for that independence and another century fixing all the little problems that werent' resolved originally (US - slavery, MX - corruption) and all the while being proud to be an American. Plus, Mexico actually reads their constitution, rings their liberty bell, and has a political parade. Not just fireworks & a picnic :)

Working on Labor Day reminded me of how much our careers define us, as NorthAmericans. I wanted to work here - I asked to work, I searched for work, and I'm thrilled to work. Most of my salary is used to pay for my work related expenses! And even though I'm not exactly qualified to teach math, I'm excited to work at a school that lets me teach kids first and subjects second.

Watching the conventions between labor day and independence day reminded me of how much women have fought for independence and the right to work. (I heard a joke that the republicans nominated a woman for vp so that they could pay her 75% and save the taxpayers money!) While I'm here, I'm often reminded of how blessed I am to work. Most of the int'l women here are "kept women" stuck at home with no job, no car, no money, and a full-time housekeeper. I was happy to work on Labor Day, bc I was happy to work! And I'm happy to support a female VP, as long as she supports working women: equal pay for equal work; paid maternity leave for all workers; access to quality affordable day care, after-school care, and college tuition; and healthcare for everyone. We'll see. In the meantime, I'll just be thankful I can vote, even from far away!

No comments: