We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Saturday, May 15, 2010

When Public Transit Works



After living in Mexico City for nearly 2 years, I was pretty convinced that cities this large just can't work with modern technology. Then, I went to Tokyo - an even larger city - where not only did tens of millions of persons move around every day, but they did it effectively and effectively. If I wasn't already, Tokyo convinced me that public transportation is the way of the future.

Dave & I shared a car for 2 years in mexico, but right now we are both working and "living" here without a car. (and without a house or apartment of our own - officially we're just 'visiting' this time) Trying to get around this huge metropolis like a Mexican, without a car of our own, has been challenging but exciting.

This weekend, we took a suburban light-rail train car (pictured above) which was clean, on time, and very fast. Then, we took a metrobus, which was crowded, but also amazing. The past few weeks, my co-teachers and current hostesses have taught me to use taxis, buses, and "combis, a kind of mini-bus the size of a VW bug.

I'm starting to think Mexico really can handle their traffic problems. By doubling their light rail and metrobus routes, they can decrease traffic and increase on-time transit for residents.

In related news, I have also recently used the bus routes in my hometown in the U.S. I live in a city that sold all of it's street cars to Mexico City in the 1950s, and is the only major US city without a comprehensive rapid transit system. These buses are less effective than a light rail system would be, but still friendly and helpful and well-used.

this is talking about Americans: Mass transit is highly desired by the young, highly educated "creative class" who want to get around a metro area after relaxing downtown — without having to designate a driver.

Maybe mass transit is a way that Mexico can help the US develop?

1 comment:

Claire said...

I love that train!