We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Monday, March 8, 2010

My own Happiness Project

2 years ago, I was begging for someone, anyone, to tell me what I'd be feeling right now. I was so worried about moving to Mexico (check out my first blog http://southernhospitality-mexico.blogspot.com/2008_03_01_archive.html ) I just wanted to know that in the end, we had made the right decision and these would not be 2 wasted years but instead 2 amazing years.
Years of discovery.
Years of growth.
Years of happiness.

And they have.

We knew, very strongly, that God had plans for us here, but we didn't really understand why. Why here? Why now? Why not?

Mexico has been my "Happiness Project". Kind of like a mini-quarter-life-crisis or pre-retirement. I got to see what my life would be like if I wasn't a slave to my job. If I wasn't busy every minute of every day. If I wasn't freezing half the year and sweating the other half. If I read more books and watched less TV and learned to blog. If I shopped less. If I met different people. If I stopped doing housework. If I caught up on all the things I was going to do "whenever I got the tiem". If I finished writing the book in my head. If I focused on eating delicious food rather than losing 5 pounds. If I soaked up Vitamin D every day. If I backpacked in Europe and climbed a Volcano in Mexico and walked the streets of Japan.

Turns out, doing all of those things has made me a better person. (I think.) I am more happy with my accomplishments, more comfortable doing "nothing", more confident in my personality, more aware of the big world around me.

Seems like I've got this Mexico adventure all wrapped up.
I'm ready for a new adventure now.

No comments: