We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Happiness Project

Living in Mexico has given me a lot of extra free time. Even working full time and driving up to 3 hours per day, I'm still working fewer hours and those hours are less busy than what I was doing before I came here. So, I've been reading a lot - books, blogs, webpages, ebooks, audiobooks... well, you get the idea.

One of my favorite books recently was "The Happiness Project" (you can check out other books I've read on www.shelfari.com). This book also has a blog, which is fun if you don't have time to read the whole book - although I do recommend at least borrowing it from the library and skimming it. http://www.happiness-project.com/

The blog for Wed. March 3 was about the 10 myths of happiness:
No. 1: Happy people are annoying and stupid. This is an automatic assumption that many people make.
No. 2: Nothing changes a person’s happiness level much.
No. 3: Venting anger relieves it.
No. 4: You’ll be happier if you insist on “the best.”
No. 5: A “treat” will cheer you up.
No. 6: Money can’t buy happiness.
No. 7: Doing “random acts of kindness” brings happiness. The emphasis here is on the word "random."
No. 8: You’ll be happy as soon as you… Falling into the "arrival fallacy" is something that many people (including me) recognize in themselves.
No. 9: Spending some time alone will make you feel better.
No. 10: The biggest myth: It’s selfish to try to be happier.

Maybe one of the reasons I liked the idea of a "Happiness Project" is because moving to Mexico has been my happiness project. Tomorrow my blog will be more about that ;)

1 comment:

Beth- the mama bee said...

I've heard of this... interested to hear more