We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Friday, August 21, 2009

I don't want to grow up

A common question, when I explain that I teach high school, is "does it make you feel young?" (ok, the first question is a shocked "why??!!")
Actually, no. Teaching high school makes me feel old. Really old. Bc it reinforces how quickly culture changes today - I did not even have email in high school, not to mention ipods and cell phones and everything else. So in their minds, I'm as ancient as their grandparents.
But that doesn't mean I want to grow up. I want to be, not 18, but maybe 25 forever. At 25, I was newly married, newly employed, newly healthy, newly moved. I felt as if I could do anything I wanted. In fact, when people ask me how old I am, I almsot say 25 before I croak out the real number.
Those older than me who are reading this are rolling their eyes right now, but I have a feeling this will keep happening for a couple of decades, so we're really in a similar place. The age I feel I am and the age I really am are not the same.
Still, I'm one of the oldest and most experienced on my staff (isn't that scary?!) so I've felt older this week than normal.
In Mexico, the average woman in a rural area gets married at 20 and has her first child within a year; the average woman in an urban area gets married at 22 and has her first child within 2 years. So I feel much older here than I really am, bc Mexicans keep asking me if I'm pregnant (it's a compliment here, really, it has nothing to do with the extra 10 pounds around my middle section) and acting like my "clock is ticking".

In the spirit of not acting my age...
How to tell you're a grown-up:
- you go to work when you're really too sick to eat or drive or think
- when you have to stay home from work bc you're too sick to leave the couch, you drag the laptop onto the couch with you and try to get some work done.
- your favorite novel stays on your bedside table while you fall asleep at a reasonable time, then get up and go back to work
- you have a hard time making friends, unless you work with them, bc you rarely talk to anyone after work
- you put off a much needed and wanted vacation because it's a "frivolous expense" of time and money
- you no longer feel that following the leader is an appropriate management method, mainly bc you no longer want to feel like you're 5 years old

*sigh* I'm a grown-up bc I have a job, I want to keep it, and I spend most of my time doing it. Does this mean I start getting younger when I retire?

No comments: