We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Sick Day

I had a mental health day yesterday, and a lot of extra time to catch up on errands, which really meant a lot of time to SHOP!

Back in the US, this would have meant hours of browsing through the racks at Target, and Borders, and Jo-Ann's, etc... until I had either emptied my wallet or ran out of time or both. Then, a few days later, I'd regret all the shopping, because now I had more stuff than I needed and less money than I wanted. *sigh*

But guess what??!! Even with a whole day at my disposal, and plenty of excuses to shop at Costco and the Mall (and online), I only got the things on my list! I wasn't even tempted to wander through aisles of things that I don't need.
After 3 months living out of suitcases, and 6 months of not finding the sizes or styles or items I want, I've kind of given up. I didn't really need anything new. I wear about the same 10 outfits over and over. Our house looks great, without lots of added knick-knacks. We can't carry home heavy gifts for friends and family. I've borrowed print and audio books from the library, and I can't find any in English here anyway.

I hope that 18 more months here can officially wean my shopping addiction, and it's not just a passing phase. :)

No comments: