We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Living the Life of a Princess

My Spanish tutor is awesome. She's a mature lady (NOT old!) with grown kids, who's been living in Toluca and teaching Americans like me & Dave for years now. She's not only really patient, but makes learning really fun, while keeping really high standards for our learning.

My favorite classes are when we get off on a tangent and can just talk in Spanish for an hour or so. This gives me great practice, but also great insights into the educated Mexican mind.
Last night was one of those nights. :)

I found out that Dave & I are one of the youngest couples she's ever worked with in this capacity. She was really surprised that a 27-year old could have the kind of responsibilities that Dave has. But once she met us, she was also really surprised at how much we embraced our lives here in Mexico. Aparantly, it's relatively normal for the US executives she works with froma number of companies - to basically come down knowing no spanish and not really trying to learn any. Dave is one of the more advanced students she's had, and she says he's really improving.
Also, I'm only the 2nd wife she's EVER worked with who's actually learned spanish. Most of the wives either don't take classes at all. If they do, they don't do any homework, they only come to class once a week for an hour or so, and they don't really try to use Spanish outside their limited time with Sara.

Well, that got me going. "I shouldn't say anything..." I started, but since it's her job to listen to me speak Spanish, she gave me the go ahead :) "Why do they come?" I asked. "Why do they come to a country where they don't know the language or culture, and they don't want to learn, and they don't have a job or anything to do all day?"

"They want to live like a princess." Sara said.

I had never thought it out; never put it into words. But that's exactly what they want. For a few short years, these women want to be on a constant vacation. They have nannies and maids and drivers and money. They have no responsibilities, no concerns. Their husbands work, their employees work, their children play, and they relax. They go to the gym and the beauty parlor and the mall and the coffee shop. They watch TV all day and take long baths once the kids are in bed. They write home bragging to their friends and family about their new wonderful life.

But what about when it's over? At some point, these women have to go home! Someday, they'll need to clean a toilet and make dinner and get up early and drive the kids to school. Someday, they'll have to sit through an interview explaining what they did for 2 or 3 or 5 years while they were in Mexico. And they won't even be able to say "I learned Spanish." or "I volunteered."

I couldn't do that, I told her. I will not believe that the 2 years we're here is merely a pause from my real life. I cannot wake up every morning knowing that yesterday, today, and tomorrow don't really count for anything. I can't talk with my family and friends when I have nothing to talk about. I won't return to the United States with nothing to show for the time I've been here.

Every day is a gift. I'm too young, and life's too short to throw away even one day.

So what do I want from this experience? Everyone I know expects me to come home on every vacation, and ultimately when we move back, with a story to tell. An explanation.

When I return, I want to say that I know Spanish. Not that I taught it, or studied it, or speak it a little. I know it. I can use it.
When I return, I want to say that I saw Mexico. I want to travel to as many cities as possible and see as much of the country as possible.
When I return, I want to say that I grew in my career. I want to learn how to run a library, how to teach a subject I know nothing about.
When I return, I want to say that I helped Mexico. I want to donate my time, and my money, and my skills to make this a better place.
When I return, I want to say that I grew Spiritually. I want to rely on God more fully than before. I want to trust Him, no matter where He sends me.
There's a lot of other silly things, too. I want to write a book or two, and catch up on scrapbooking, and learn to play the piano (again). I want to read a lot, and make new friends, and learn new recipies. I want to spend time with my husband and lead mission trips and visit with my nieces & nephews.

In other words, I want to keep living.
Live each day as if it were on purpose.

3 comments:

Beth- the mama bee said...

yeah for neices and nephews!

I am glad to see that you have a 'refreshed' look on your trip... that's a bit how I see our time in Florida, but on a much less important scale :) However, I wouldn't mind having a nanny and or maid for an hour or two this afternoon!

-I read your blog all the time, but I have to resign up everytime I leave a comment, or I would do that more :)

Beth- the mama bee said...

yeah for neices and nephews!

I am glad to see that you have a 'refreshed' look on your trip... that's a bit how I see our time in Florida, but on a much less important scale :) However, I wouldn't mind having a nanny and or maid for an hour or two this afternoon!

Kelly said...

super yay for nieces and nephews! I don't mind if you leave comments or not. Thanks for reading! you're one third of my fan club, I think ;)