We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

13 books

So today I stopped by the biblioteca (library). The plan was to “just browse” in order to delay the inevitable return to a lonely, empty house. I didn’t even bring my totebag. Minutes later, I was struggling to carry 13 tomes to my car without dropping any!
It won’t be surprising to anyone if I finish all of those, and more, before leaving for Mexico.
Mexico – how will I find so many books in Mexico?
None of this quick errand will be able to happen there. Without a car, I won’t casually “stop by” anywhere. There will be no cozy libraries full of interesting and diverse people and equally interesting and diverse stories. There will be no easy way to pick up a dozen or so books, or scan a few magazines, or make small talk. Even though books, and magazines, and friendly people will be available, all of those stories will happen in a foreign language.
And for someone who loves stories so much, it will be hard to adjust.

No comments: