We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Goals

This morning at church my mind was really wandering. Unfortunately, that's not unusual. With MI unemployment at 15% (highest in the nation for 22 months running!), there's a serious possibility that my life when we return will be very different than when we left, and from my life here in Mexico.
Thankfully, we sang "What a friend we have in Jesus", reminding me "what needless pains we bear all because we do not carry everything to God in Prayer". Which got my mind back on track. If God told me today what my life would look like Sept. 2010, I may not be ready to hear it. So instead, I tried to remember if I'm meeting all the goals I had for the time that I am here in Mexico. I can't worry about tomorrow, but I can make today count for something.

Here's what I wrote last October:
When I return, I want to:
know Spanish. Not just I speak it a little.
see as much of Mexico as possible.
learn how to run a library, how to teach a subject I know nothing about.
donate my time, and my money, and my skills to make Mexico a better place.
rely on God more fully than before. I want to trust Him, no matter where He sends me.
There's a lot of other silly things, too. I want to write a book or two, and catch up on scrapbooking, and learn to play the piano (again). I want to read a lot, and make new friends, and learn new recipies. I want to spend time with my husband and lead mission trips and visit with my nieces & nephews.


So, how am I doing? Well, I still have some time, and I might not finish everything, but I'm doing ok. I am speaking Spanish much better, and I have more time to learn. I survived a year of teaching math, and now I'm leading workshops for the other teachers and teaching my dream curriculum - social studies - next year. I have read a lot of new books and tried a lot of new foods and traveled all over the country and hosted a lot of family at our house.
I'm still working on trusting God more and finding enough time to spend with family. I haven't practiced piano, and I'm still far behind on my scrapbooking. But maybe those will happen, too. There's always something else that needs to get done, right?

1 comment:

Claire said...

I think you did pretty well in the new friend department! Haha :)