We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Thursday, November 20, 2008

language

Every language has its idiosyncracies, which make it really interesting, and which help a culture to define its own point of view.
Examples:
In English, we "get" a lot of things, supposedly by fate or God's will or something, bc our phrases don't make it sound like it's our fault at all:
"get pregnant" "get sick" "get in an accident" "get fat" "get a good night's sleep"
On the other hand, English does often make us take responsibility for our own actions, even if they're not our fault:
"I lost my keys" "I forgot my homework" "I broke my legs in the accident"
In Spanish, they have an entire grammatical form dedicated to avoiding responsibility (this is the basic Eng. translation of some common phrases):
"The keys lost me" "The homework got left behind" "the legs got broken in the accident"
So imagine my surprise to learn today that some of the phrases that in English imply certain things aren't my fault, are definitely my fault in Spanish:
"I've fattened myself" "I sicked myself" "I pregnanted myself"

So aparently, in Spanish, it's not my fault if I drop the donut, or forget the donuts, but if I eat the donuts & gain weight - that's definitely all my fault!

No comments: