We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Pina!

We don't have fresh pineapple in Michigan. At least, if we do, I don't know where to buy it or when it is fresh.
Dave was very intrigued by the fresh pineapple on the side of the road in Mexico. Thankfully, our friend Rachael knew how to turn a full pineapple into a bowl of pineapple pieces.

First, she cut off the leafy green top:


Then, she cut the fleshy parts in half.


Then she trimmed off the sides and cut it into small pieces. I guess that the center of the pineapple is normally not eaten in the U.S. but is eaten in Mexico.




In the end, this was a VERY sweet pineapple. Rachael said it was almost too ripe, but I think I just was surprised by my first fresh pineapple experience. The pieces we couldn't eat went into the freezer for smoothies next week.

Yum.

2 comments:

Beth- the mama bee said...

We had pineapple in our yard in FL. We certainly didn't eat the core, so we sliced it a little differnt. It's so differnt from what you buy. Enjoy the fresh stuff while you can!

rach said...

I'm famous (just not very photogenic). I'd glad you enjoyed your Pina cutting lesson. Mexican's don't waste much of anything so they eat the core...but you will find that most people from the States cut it out :)