We enjoyed Mexico's hospitality, and now we're back in the states spreading the joy of living south of the border!

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Out of our comfort zone

One of my new friends in Mexico, a fellow teacher/missionary, also writes a blog about her experiences, bc she has so many friends and supporters in the states. After a week at a youth conference in Mexico (all in Spanish!!!) she wrote about how hard it is to not be able to talk:
http://www.rachelsadventure.com/1/post/2009/11/i-just-wanted-to-hide.html

And I feel the same way. Not being able to talk is really humbling. I'm loud by nature (i'm sure you've noticed) and so there is NO WHERE in the U.S. where I can go that I would feel uncomfortable speaking up. (ok, maybe a truck stop or an AA meeting, but you know what I mean). When I'm not completely frustrated, I can see one of the reasons God brought me here: to teach me empathy. I never really understood what it's like to feel uncomfortable expressing myself. I never really understood what it's like to be stared at, to be pointed at, to be talked about as if I can't hear or understand those comments. Average-looking midwestern girls, especially confident ones, just don't ever have an opportunity to feel uncomfortable. Two years of uncomfortable gives me a different outlook.

Also, I am now super offended/angered/annoyed by bilingual mexicans (normally service employees) who take one look at me and assume I'd prefer for them to speak to me in English. I would prefer to speak in Spanish, actually, so that I can practice. I'm less annoyed by the hispanics who have a spanish conversation right next to me with a false sense of privacy. I do that in English in Mexico, even though I know some people may understand me. But I"m proud of my ability to secretly eavesdrop. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pleasure to find such a good artical! please keep update!! .......................